Saturday, December 27, 2014

To Look Again

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:12

When considering a name for this blog, I began by looking at the definition of the word "review". It means to look again, to examine, to look at carefully and decide if a change must be made.  The first assumption is that we are looking to change that which we are reviewing.  However, I have often found that reviewing works of fiction, and events from my own life, prompts a desire for change in myself .

Jesus used parables to teach hard truths to those who may not have been able to receive it otherwise.  He told parables so that those who cared enough to look again would find the true meaning of the story, and change their character.

It is a difficult thing to examine our own lives and see how our present-day choices will affect our future. Yet by looking at our past, and the past decisions of those who have gone before us, we begin to see patterns which can help us in our decisions.  I teach history.  Every year I am struck by how closely one period of history resembles another in terms of human pride and mistakes. By looking back, we can see all the small decisions that led to huge consequences.

When we look again insignificant details become important, word choices become significant, and elements of an ongoing story (setting, characters, plot development, etc.) become clear.

My goals are three-fold:
*to look again for lessons of truth and character
*to develop my own writing by sharing these lessons of truth and character
*to one day create stories that will teach lessons of truth and character

And so, to accomplish these goals, I will be reviewing, looking again, and works of fiction, as well as my own life.  This blog will contain book reviews, as well as day-to-day reflections of a middle school Language Arts/Social Studies teacher. Feel free to come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment