Friday, January 2, 2015

Looking Back Ten Years Part 2

One of the quirks of 17 year old me, was that I enjoyed filling out surveys. Today, I thought it would be fun to re-take a survey from 2004 and see how my answers are different in 2014.  I did not include the entire survey, which was 40 questions long, just highlights.  It was interesting to see how my opinions have changed, and how many things have stayed the same.  Enjoy!

In 2004...2014
What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before? 


17 year old me: went out of country without my parents (This was the year I went to Hungary on a mission trip.)


27 year old me: In 2014 I traveled to Croatia and to Ukraine all by myself with no parents, no group, and no husband. This included missing the actual flight to Croatia from London, rescheduling my flight, navigating the French airport, losing my luggage, navigating the Austrian airport, checking into an Austrian hotel, finding food in Austria, and making my way back to the airport all by myself!

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 

17 year old me: I don't remember my new years resolutions if I had any and as for 05...get into my own REGULAR personal Bible study


27 year old me: Last year I was very intentional about NOT making a New Years resolution because I got tired of hating myself when I did not keep them.  While I am not a fan of the term "New Years resolutions" I do recognize the need for certain changes/improvements in my life.  New Years is as good a time as any to make these changes. In 2015, I will be pursuing more Bible study, church involvement, and intentionality in my relationships with others.

 Did someone close to you give birth?

17 year old me: um..they weren't really close to me.. 


27 year old me: Yes! My best friend, Kayla gave birth to her firstborn son, Caspian, and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law welcomed their secondborn, Jasper.

 What countries did you visit? 

17 year old me:Hungary and the German airport


27 year old me: Croatia, Austria, Ukraine, and England


What events from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 

17 year old me: ACU Homecoming, Kayla's Graduation, Carousel (the musical), and the e3 trip. [[Note: e3 was the name of the drama group I was a part of at the time. It stood for Energize, Encourage, and Exalt...e3]]


27 year old me: Joe and Lauren's wedding, Kayla and Trevor's last days in the USA, learning that they were pregnant, Barrett and Elaine's wedding, and Ukraine.  Why? The common themes in all of those moments are Community, and God's continued presence in our lives.

What was your biggest achievement of the year? 

17 year old me: hm...lol making the last three of the people auditioning for the part of Julie...maybe something bigger but since I said Carousel that was on my mind...hehe


27 year old me: Paying off the rest of my school loans...less than six months till we are debt free!

What song will always remind you of 2004? 

17 year old me: REMIND me of 04? oh goodness i dunno...


27 year old me: Let it Go!

Compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or hardened?

17 year old me: hm...idk good question. I'm happier because of what I know now that I didn't know then, and I'm hardened in a good way...in the sense that I'm stronger.


27 year old me: I am probably more hardened. Adulthood has a way of doing that to people.

ii. thinner or fatter?

17 year old me: hehe idk, last time i checked i was the same weight..


27 year old me: I am probably about the same weight, but maybe a little more toned since I have been working out more.

iii. richer or poorer?

17 year old me: um...yes


27 year old me: Richer! We payed off my school debt and we both got raises this year!

What do you wish you'd done more of? 

17 year old me: staying on task for school


27 year old me: Preparing materials for my lessons, staying on top of my grading, and going to Bible class at church.

What do you wish you'd done less of? 


17 year old me: fretting


27 year old me: fretting

 How did you spend Christmas?

17 year old me: with my family at my house :-)


27 year old me: With my husband's family in San Antonio.

Did you fall in love in 2004? 

17 year old me: no. 


27 year old me: I fell in love with my husband, over and over again.

What was your favorite TV program? 

17 year old me: my favorite made-for-tv movie was Samantha.


27 year old me: Girl Meets World, When Calls the Heart, and Castle

What was the best book you read? 

17 year old me: um..Beowulf, Love Comes Softly...THE BIBLE!


27 year old me: The Cast of Stones Trilogy by Patrick Carr, and Mardan's Mark by Kathrese McKee

Favorite film of this year? 


17 year old me: Phantom of the Opera!


27 year old me: Annie

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

17 year old me: I got a phonecall :-D woot! We celebrated my birthday the day before Christmas eve, and Grandma was there and we had a phantom of the opera pound cake...and I was seventeen. :-D


27 year old me: On my birthday, my coworkers decorated my desk, brought me chocolate, coffee, and tea, and gave me two cards (one from the entire staff, and one from the Upper School Team). A week later, Matthew and I went to see Annie for a belated birthday celebration. I turned 27.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? 

17 year old me: uh...?


27 year old me: Sophisticated, trendy, and scholarly. That's what I was going for anyway, who knows if I succeeded.


What political issue stirred you the most? 

17 year old me: People blaming Bush for the war etc.


27 year old me: The war in Ukraine

 Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

17 year old me: "Who can say if I've been changed for the better? But, because I knew you, I have been changed for Good."


27 year old me: "To everything turn, turn turn, there is a season, turn, turn, turn and a time for every purpose under Heaven..."

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting! I'm 17 now and I think I want to do this and look back in a few years.
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog, Inklined.
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Sarah! I had fun and I highly recommend it.
      Jessica

      Delete